In the 1860s there were few permanent inhabitants of the area now occupied by Buford. Silas King and his family lived in what is now downtown Buford. William Sudderth owned land to the south and east of King. Wyatt Wilson owned more than 1,000 acres north of Buford. Other early
Cindy Brogdon the former Tennessee Lady Vol was a three-time Kodak All American. She first received the honor as a freshman at Mercer University. She later received the honor again in her junior and senior years at the University of Tennessee. She was a member of the 1976 U. S.
Quoted as being, “Buford’s Living Legend”, he truly lived up to the title. He was born as a twin in 1925 (brother Hurley was born crippled) to Jesse Lee and Pearl Dutton Biffle on Leather Street in Buford. Growing up in the depression was hard. His father had health problems
Buford’s first school began around 1869. It was held for only three months each summer in a log house on the lot of the N.W. Buice residence and was taught by Mr. J. W. Mitchell. Each of the six families who supplied the twenty-five pupils paid tuition to support the
As Buford flourished, so did its architecture. The steady growth of local economics gave rise to many superb residential structures in a wide variety of styles. One can see landmarks in the Queen Anne Victorian, Greek Revival, Italian Renaissance, Georgian Revival, Colonial Revival, Baronial Revival, Arts & Crafts and Mission